Lasting Power of Attorney
What is a Lasting Power of Attorney?
A Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) allows you to plan in advance, who would manage your affairs if you were unable to do so yourself.
This legal document can be used with your consent, or when you lack mental capacity to make your own decisions.
About your Lasting Power of Attorney
- The power can be used on a temporary basis – for example if you were in hospital for a period, or out of the country.
- You can appoint up to 4 attorneys and state whether they should always act together, or whether each one can act on their own.
There are two types of Lasting Power of Attorney:
Property and Affairs
Having a Property and Affairs Lasting Power of Attorney in place allows you to plan in advance who would manage your money and other assets if you were unable to do so yourself.
This service will help your appointed attorneys:
- manage your bank or building society accounts
- pay your bills
- collect your benefits or pension
- sell your home
- speak to pension and utility providers over the telephone on your behalf
Health and Welfare
A Lasting Power of Attorney for Health and Welfare ensures that your attorneys are involved in decisions relating to your health. This could include:
- decisions on life sustaining treatment and end of life care
- speaking to doctors and social workers on your behalf
- signing a consent form for medical treatment
- making decisions about care needs
Single – £350
Pair for spouses or partners – £500
Please note: you may also be required to pay a registration fee of up to £82 (for each Lasting Power of Attorney registered)
Want to put a plan in place?
What my clients say...
If you instruct me, my service includes:
- completion of all paperwork
- acting as your Certificate Provider to state that you understand what an LPA is, and you consent to your attorneys acting on your behalf when appropriate
- ensuring that all the people involved have signed the appropriate paperwork
- registering your Lasting Power of Attorney with the Office of the Public Guardian
- checking the final registered document before I send it to you
Lasting Power of Attorney in Nottingham and surrounding areas
I offer home visits throughout Nottinghamshire including:
- West Bridgford
- Cropwell Bishop
- Radcliffe on Trent
- Burton Joyce
I cover the whole of Nottinghamshire and beyond so please get in touch if your area isn’t listed.
Impact of not having an LPA in place
Watch this 3 minute feature from The One Show that shows the importance of having a Lasting Power of Attorney in place and the negative impact not having one can have on your life.